we bought a bunch of peaches last week and decided to use some of them to try out a new recipe: the pioneer woman’s peach crisp with maple cream sauce.
i have this recipe pinned on my dessert board and even had it bookmarked pre-pinterest. but it wasn’t until i heard from one of my sisters that she’d made it and it was amazing that i knew i definitely had to make it this year.
i just have to say that my sister was right! it was amazing! my favorite part of it was the maple cream sauce – to. die. for. i could just drink that all on it’s own! (i almost did – see all of the cream sauce in the picture above?! ha.) my second favorite part was the bowl with all the peaches, lemon juice, and maple syrup (before putting it all in the baking dish). it was so fresh tasting. i think it’ll be my new go-to way to eat fresh peaches from now on.
whenever you’ve got a few extra peaches hanging around, try making this recipe. i’m pretty sure you’ll love it!
- 5-6 fresh peaches
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ whole lemon
- 7 tablespoons real maple syrup, divided
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and gradually add to flour mixture until evenly mixed.
- Peel peaches into a bowl. Add the zest from half a lemon. Squeeze juice from lemon half and stir in with peaches and zest. Add 2 tablespoons real maple syrup to peaches, stir well.
- Pour peach mixture into a small pan (8″ or 9″ square) and cover evenly with crumb topping. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until crisp and brown on top.
- Maple Cream Sauce: Pour whipping cream into a saucepan. Add 5 tablespoons real maple syrup, 3 tablespoons corn syrup and stir over moderate heat until thickened and reduced by about one-third, approx 15 minutes. Refrigerate mixture until it is cold and thick. Drizzle sauce over peach crisp. Serve warm.