this is yet another reason why i love that the girls in my family put together a family cookbook. i seriously have used this cookbook so many times and have referred to it often when i’m lacking inspiration for dinner (and dessert, and breakfast, and lunch, and everything else).
this recipe is for lean carnitas which are simply pork tacos, which is a nice alternative to the beef and chicken varieties. tacos are always made more exciting when you mix it up a little bit! and the nice thing about these lean carnitas is that you can put the pork and seasonings in the crock pot/slow cooker in the morning and it’s ready when you are.
in the slow cooker, you’ll need to combine a pork sirloin tip roast, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano leaves, beef bouillon, s&p, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce and cilantro. yum! that’s a lot of flavor right there! not to mention they’re things you already have in your pantry.
about 1/2 hour before you’re ready to eat, go ahead and shred up or pull all of the pork. it will soak up all the juices and be delicious throughout.
get your tortillas ready! my sister introduced me to these fresh, uncooked tortillas that you cook on a dry skillet. no oil, and they take just a minute to make and are super easy. they’re just the most delicious tortillas and if you can find them, you should try them!
prep your toppings. chop up some tomatoes, grate some cheese, and make some homemade guacamole. then get your lettuce, black beans, sour cream, and salsa. this is going to be good!
put it all together and you’ve got a dinner that everyone will love! enjoy your lean carnitas!
- 2.5 - 3 lb pork sirloin tip roast
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon (1 cube) beef bouillon
- dash salt, dash pepper
- ½ cup orange juice
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- combine the brown sugar, garlic and onion powder, oregano, beef bouillon, salt and pepper. set aside.
- brown roast on all sides in a dry frying pan. evenly coat all sides of roast with spice mixture and place in crock pot. add orange and lime juices, soy sauce and fresh cilantro (optional).
- cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. shred roast with a fork and let the meat absorb any juices in the pot.
- serve with tortillas and all of your favorite taco toppings.