there really is nothing more fitting under the comfort food category than chili. it’s healthy, it’s delicious, and it’s easy to make. and it makes your neighbors walk by your open window and stop to ask you what you’re making for dinner because it smells so good!
this is a recipe from our family cookbook. this was my first attempt at making it, and i’m glad i did. it might look like there are a lot of ingredients, but almost all of them are pantry items and spices. it does not take a long time to put together, and because it cooks in the crock pot, you can make it in the morning and dinner will be waiting for you whenever you’re ready!
please note: this makes a lot of chili! this was fine by us, because we used the leftovers during the week to serve over top of baked potatoes, and also in chili rice wraps (the super easy recipe for that will be coming soon, too, i’m sure).
to make you own chili, follow these easy steps:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 (19 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 (16 oz) cans chili-style chopped tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Brown and drain the hamburger. Brown, but do not drain the sausage. Combine all in a slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 6 hours.