the last couple of years i’ve planted a salsa garden: tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, etc. so it would only make sense that at summer’s end i would make some homemade salsa to can – you just can’t beat garden freshness in the middle of winter!
this recipe is one that my sister’s been using for years – i remember she brought some she’d made all the way up to canada about 10 years ago just so we could try it – it’s that good!
here are some tips for making your own salsa:
1. tomatoes: an easy way to peel the tomatoes is to place them in boiling water for about 1 minute, then transfer to a sink full of cold water to stop the cooking. the skins will peel right off!
2. jalapenos: we like a little heat in our salsa, so adding a few seeds from the jalapeno helps to get that – but by adding some of the rib in addition to the seeds, you will get you some major heat! awesome!
3. thick & chunky vs. runny salsa: my preference is to have runny salsa with very few chunks in it, so i cut up my tomatoes, peppers, and onions pretty finely. i also only simmer the salsa for about 2 hours. if you want a chunkier & thicker salsa, cut your pieces bigger and simmer for more time, about 4 hours (or longer!)
here’s the recipe!Print
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 4 jars 1x
Homemade salsa from fresh garden vegetables.
- 10 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded (or keep seeds if you like added heat)
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- peel and dice tomatoes. dice the onion and peppers. combine tomatoes, onion, peppers, and everything else in a tall stock pot and stir. bring to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes. reduce heat and simmer 2-4 hours, stirring occasionally. eat it just like this, or pour into clean pint jars and process. serve with tortilla chips. enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Condiment
Anne Olsen says
Looks super good kate!
I made this and my whole family fell in love with it, so I send them all a link to this recipe!
Thank you so much!
Lots of love Huanne
Thanks, Huanne! I’m so glad you love it!!! 🙂
This is a great recipe all by itself. Thanks Katie.
I did cheat slightly w/1/4 cp of lime juice and parsley..plus a garni of garden grown basil for the cook. Not needed though. Company is always impressed. I tell them Katie made it😉
Glad you liked it and love the additions!