summer is my favorite season. it’s hot out, we can wear flip-flops, and we get to eat all the amazing outdoor summer food we want (right?!).
this is one of our favorite potato salad recipes. i always make it on a summer holiday like memorial day or the 4th of july because it goes along so great with whatever outdoor meal i have planned. philly cheese steaks, anyone?
the best part about this recipe is that it’s a cinch to put together. all you need are potatoes (red are my favorite, with the skins ON), hard-boiled eggs, cream, sour cream, miracle whip, green onions, s&p, celery seed, garlic powder, sugar, mustard, and vinegar. and if you’re like me, you’ll also want to add in a couple chopped dill pickles and/or sliced celery!
after boiling and chopping the potatoes and peeling and chopping the eggs, all you need to do is throw is throw everything else in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours. it doesn’t have to be complicated to be good!
so when the weather’s hot outside, you’ve got a nice, cool potato salad to share with all your family and friends! here’s the recipe:Print
summer potato salad
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 6 red potatoes
- 2–3 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup miracle whip
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (optional)
- 2 dill pickles, chopped (optional)
- boil the potatoes in skins until easily pierced with a fork. peel (or not) and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- peel and chop the eggs and add to potatoes.
- add pickles and celery, if using.
- in a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the potatoes and eggs. stir to coat well. refrigerate for a couple hours before eating.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
[…] days after that we’ve got the 4th of july, which of course means lots of fireworks, salads (like classic potato salad, chicken pasta salad, and southwestern couscous salad) and yummy ice cream treats like homemade […]