my husband came home from work the other day and was pleasantly surprised to find that we were having chicken pot pie for dinner – he loves it! it is such a classic – it’s got plenty of vegetables (which i love), a homemade white sauce and, of course, lots of chicken. while the pie crust i use is store-bought (i’ve never had luck making my own), the rest of it is 100% made by you. it feels good making something that your family loves and that you know is good for them. it is the perfect comfort food.
here’s all you’ll need to make it:
carrots, potatoes, butter, flour, chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper, chicken, frozen peas, sliced mushrooms, green onions, and a pie pastry. (i love mushrooms but the rest of my family doesn’t love them so i leave them out.)
and the recipe (scroll down to the end of this post) is pretty easy to follow. before you know it you’ll be pulling a hot chicken pot pie out of the oven that is hearty and healthy and oh-so-good!
by the way, if you want to make a super adorable presentation, you could bake this in little ramekins. my kids would eat up (literally) those individual portions. and if you love pie crust, do a double crust – a crust on bottom and a crust on top. if not, just put the filling in an 8×8 or a pie plate (aff links) like you would a casserole and set a single crust on top – just like my sweet sister who put this recipe in our family cookbook.
hope you and your family enjoy this simple classic homemade dinner!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 medium carrots, peeled & sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 4.5oz can sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 pie pastry (double crust or single crust)
- cook carrots and potatoes in water about 10 minutes. drain.
- melt butter in pan. stir in flour until well combined. add chicken broth, thyme, & salt and pepper, until sauce is creamy. bring to a boil for 2 minutes until thickened. set aside.
- in a large bowl, stir together the drained carrots and potatoes, white sauce, and all other ingredients.
- transfer mixture to a greased 2-quart pie dish or 8x8 dish. (if using a double crust, the dish does not need to be greased.) top with pastry. cut slits in top and brush with milk.
- bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. yummy!!