there are a lot of variations on layered dips out there, but this recipe is my favorite. not only is it very simple to prep and put together, but it requires only a few basic ingredients, everyone loves it, and it feeds a crowd! (you can also try this simple 3 ingredient homemade guacamole if you’re in the mood for another type of dip!)
it really only requires you to open a can or package, chop some tomatoes, slice some scallions, grate some cheddar cheese, and then layer everything in a baking dish. it doesn’t get much easier than that!
the seven layers of this dip are these:
1. 1 can refried beans
2. 1 package guacamole
3. 1 x 16oz carton sour cream, mixed with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
4. 1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese
5. 1-2 chopped roma tomatoes
6. 1 small can sliced black olives
7. 3-4 scallions, thinly sliced
just layer those ingredients in that order in a 9×9 (the layers will be thicker) or a 9×13 glass pan/baking dish. even a pie plate would work! serve with tortilla chips, and you’ve got a dip that will be gone in no time!
here’s the really easy recipe that is perfect for parties and get-togethers, or just a fun weekend snack for the family to munch on!Print
7-layer chip dip
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 package guacamole
- 1 16oz carton sour cream + 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- mix together the sour cream and taco seasoning and set aside. in a 9×9″ or 9×13″ glass dish, layer the refried beans, guacamole, sour cream mixture. sprinkle on grated cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes, black olives, and sliced scallions (green onions).
- serve with tortilla chips, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
Staple party food!
it’s a classic 🙂 can’t go wrong with it!
Hey Katie what size carton of sour cream there is the little one 250 ml and then there is the 500 ml. I am assuming you mean the bigger of the two. Too be honest I am guessing those are the sizes since I don’t have one handy and I am too lazy to go and look in the fridge!! LOL I figure you know what I am talking about!!! 🙂 Have a great day and keep up the amazing work on your blog!
Hi Michelle! Yes, you’re right. It would be the 500 ml (16oz here in the US). Sorry about that! I’ll update that in the post. Thanks! You have a great day, too 🙂
This is our go-to appetizer. My husband asks for it whenever he feels like eating something munchy and I always get lots of compliments when I take it to parties! So good!
Love this! The one I make takes cream cheese and you mix it with the sour cream and taco seasoning to make it extra creamy. I also use lettuce (because it used to be a really cheap ingredient, but it’s not really that cheap any longer)
i haven’t tried it with cream cheese or lettuce before – i’ll have to do that – thanks for the idea!