we had a pork taco party the other night and decided to make our own homemade guacamole instead of buying it already made at the store. i think we will just be doing that from now on – whether for tacos, layered dips, or just as a dip for tortilla chips! it tastes so fresh and couldn’t be more simple to make!
i’m saying there are 5 ingredients, but if you don’t consider the salt and pepper to be “ingredients” because you always have them around, then this is just an easy 3-ingredient recipe. aside from the salt and pepper, all you need are avocados, garlic salt, and limes.
side note :: i should mention that neither my husband nor myself like avocados on their own, but by adding these other simple ingredients, we actually wished there had been more guacamole for us to dip into!
ok, so here’s how it all comes together:
- peel, dice, and mash 3 avocados. (there is no set number of avocados here – the more guacamole you want to make, the more avocados you need. you just want to make sure they are perfectly ripe so they’re easy to mash.)
- add approximately 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt.
- season with salt and pepper.
- squeeze in the juice of half a lime and mix everything together.
- use a tortilla chip to help you taste test – if that’s what you’re going to be eating it with. it will help you determine whether there is enough salt in the guacamole – you want the balance to be there with the salt from the chips.
- adjust according to your taste. want more lime flavor? add more lime juice! do you love garlic? add more garlic powder! not enough salt? …you get the idea.
if you want you could also add some pico de gallo (finely chopped and seeded tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice) to add even more flavor if you’re using it as a dip.
this really is one of those super easy recipes you’ll want to have in your back pocket for adding a little extra fun and flavor to everyday dinners, parties, or just as a simple and healthy snack! plus, it takes less than 5 minutes to make! bonus!
here’s the really short, but oh-so-good recipe!Print
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: approx 2 cups 1x
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- peel, dice, and mash the avocados. add garlic powder, lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. mix everything together and taste with a tortilla chip. add additional lime juice, garlic powder, or salt and pepper to taste.
- if desired, add some pico de gallo (chopped and seeded tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice) to bump up the flavor for a fantastic and colorful dip.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
[…] your toppings. chop up some tomatoes, grate some cheese, and make some homemade guacamole. then get your lettuce, black beans, sour cream, and salsa. this is going to be […]
[…] toppings we frequently use to fill our little street tacos/pork tacos/lean carnitas are :: cheese, easy homemade guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo (equal amounts of roma tomatoes, cilantro, and red onion, all finely […]