a few weeks ago, i posted my family’s favorite way to eat broccoli – roasted, of course. it’s delicious! i also mentioned in that post that i had bought a humongous bag of broccoli from costco. here’s one of the ways we used it up: chicken divan. this recipe is not only delicious, but it is super easy to make and is really filling. it’s perfect for a weeknight family dinner.
all you need is: cooked chicken, broccoli, cream of chicken soup, mayo, sour cream, chicken broth, lemon juice, curry, and cheese.
easy peasy! (as my kid would say.)
follow this easy recipe to see just how simple it is to get a good meal on the table for your family, any day of the week!
NB the picture shows the amounts i used for half the recipe…since we have a small family! whether you have a small or large family, i hope you enjoy your chicken divan!Print
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
Easy weeknight dinner for the family with a yummy chicken devan.
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 to 3 heads broccoli
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon curry (or up to 2 teaspoons, to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- bread crumbs, or ritz crackers, crumbled
- cooked rice, for serving
- cut broccoli into florets and steam until just tender, about 2-3 minutes. place broccoli in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. in a large bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, mayo, sour cream, chicken broth, lemon juice, curry, cheese and shredded chicken. pour chicken mixture over broccoli and top with a sprinkle of bread crumbs or crushed ritz crackers. bake at 400 for 30 minutes. serve over rice.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dinner
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. Every one needs to try it. They’ll be hooked!
Traci Ann says
I adore this stuff… It’s not healthy despite the broccoli but it’s a special treat I give in to myself once in awhile… So I have one added ingredient that a friend taught me; add some seasoned croutons in this too. They come out chewy and add some more texture… Yum!
Thanks, Traci Ann! Great idea – I’ll try the croutons next time!
Can I sub the mayo with anything? Hubby really doesn’t like mayo and I’m not big on using that much mayo in a recipe. Thanks!
You might be able to, but I’ve never used anything different. Hopefully somebody else will be able to help!
I refuse to even keep mayo in my house! You can sub sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for mayo in almost any recipe; for chicken divan I’ve always just upped the amount of sour cream. I’ve never seen it made with curry powder; I use poultry seasoning. I usually use one can of cream of mushroom and one of cream of chicken, and I try to buy the ones that are 98% fat free to cut down the fat content of this recipe.