this is yet another reason why i love my family cookbook! every time i buy bananas, a few are sure to get a little too brown for anyone in my family to eat. so i pull out this recipe from that cookbook and make this delicious banana bread. it tastes so amazing, and because it’s made with sour cream it’s super moist. and best of all, my kids love it!
here’s how to make it:
first, gather all your ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, salt, ripe bananas, sour cream, vanilla, and walnuts or chocolate chips (optional).
next, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. add to eggs and beat to incorporate.
in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. add it in to the butter mixture.
add mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and mix to combine.
if you want chopped walnuts or chocolate chips, you can stir in 1/2 cup of either one at this point.
once everything stirred together, transfer to a single loaf pan, or 3 mini loaf pans. *if using a larger loaf pan, you’ll have to bake for 1 hour & 10 minutes. for the mini loaf pans, you’ll only have to bake for 45 minutes.*
cool on a wire rack, slather in butter, and enjoy!
here’s the recipe for you to try it yourself:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (approx. 3)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips
- Butter a loaf pan, or 3 mini loaf pans, and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, and beat. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the butter mixture. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and mix to combine. If using nuts or chocolate chips, stir them in with a rubber spatula.
- Bake at 350. If using a regular-size loaf pan, bake 1 hour & 10 minutes. If using mini loaf pans, bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool slightly before turning out onto cooling racks. Spread on some butter and enjoy!